The loss of the Hull trawler Diamond was one of the few losses that, happily did not incur a loss of life. She was owned by the Kingston Steam Trawling Company, who named their fleet of trawlers after precious or semi precious stones. In later years, they added the name "Kingston" before the designated name and what was named the Diamond in this case would become the Kingston Diamond in a future vessel.
The Diamond was a steam trawler, built in 1891 in Glasgow in the Govan yard and was 100.5 ft long and grossed 149.0 tons with 45 horsepower engines and carried the fishing Registration number H142. She was returning to Hull from a fishing trip when she ran agound to the South of the King and Queen rocks under the infamous Speeton cliffs.
The crew abandoned the vessel using their own boat and it is reported that they were picked up by the Flamborough Lifeboat. Following this, they were taken to the Foord's Hotel at the end of Queen Street, Filey, where shipwrecked mariners were taken to and their names have been seen entered in the Foord's guest book.
The Diamond was subsequently declared a loss and salvage of the recoverable items from her, including some of the machinery was undertaken by horse and cart. Over the years, the tremendous seas have taken their toll of what was left and in recent times a limited photographic survey of the wreck was undertaken by members of the Filey Underwater Research Unit. in 1999 the boiler was overturned during one particularly bad storm and it is a testimony to it's long dead builders that this boiler still remains largely intact to this day.
One interesting story surrounding the loss of this vessel is that the Engineer of the Diamond lived in Filey and was on leave at the time. He was awoken to the news to the cry of "she's come for you Billy!"